Good Neighbours by Sarah Langan



 

 Oh that was horrible — 5 stars, please! ðŸŒŸ 


Firstly, I borrowed this from the Manchester City Library solely because Gillian Flynn was on the cover. I often see “perfect for fans of Gillian Flynn/Gone Girl” (which I am), but hardly ever see the good sis endorse work herself so that got me. Sarah Pinborough (another top author on my thriller list) also described the book as a “bistering satire of suburban life with serious emotional stakes. A fantastic literary thriller.”


The book is described as a ruthless portrayal of suburbia that excavates the perils and betrayals of motherhood and friendships and the dangerous clash between social hierarchy, childhood trauma, and fear. These are so intricately interwoven it’s difficult to accept the characters’ ills, and they were all grotesque, without at least trying to understand what makes them who they are. Sarah did an excellent job of depicting these complexities.


This book also included a map of the neighbourhood, which at first almost discouraged me (I associate maps with fantasy, which I’m yet to dabble in), but I’m glad I continued on the 400 page ride.


Lost a lot of sleep hours and ended up with a book hangover but no regrets! This was a beautifully gruesome read.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover

The Blessed Girl by Angela Makholwa