Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman


Hi There!

Trying to balance my final year of university, my other extra curricular activities as well as my reading career has been a mission and a half, but I've managed to read and finish 13 books during the course of this year - which I think is a great given the circumstances.

My latest guilt-read (I miss guilt-free reading so much) is 'Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine' by Gail Honeyman.

Eleanor has been alone and lonely all her life - and not just in the romantic sense. She has had no companionship or friendship for the vast majority of her adult life. This makes her socially awkward as she finds 'there is no Eleanor-shaped social-hole'.

The book explores the themes of companionship, loneliness, childhood traumas and their effects on one's adult life. Gail Honeyman's writing style had me crying, resonating with Eleanor and laughing in the span of one read.

I did, however, feel like Gayle exaggerated the level of Eleanor's 'social-naivety'

Favourite quote:

“If someone asks you how you are, you are meant to say FINE. You are not meant to say that you cried yourself to sleep last night because you hadn't spoken to another person for two consecutive days. FINE is what you say.” 


8/10 would recommend.

Comments

  1. Definitely adding this to my list. Great review Lizzy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finished this. And I would also give it a an 8. But I don't know about the ending, I feel like the author just wanted to squeeze everything into like 2 chapters there in the end. Like she mapped the whole story nicely but then she rushed the ending. I don't know but it was a good read nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad it ended the way it did. Sometimes perfect books are ruined by unnecessarily prolonged endings. I am glad you enjoyed the book; this was my favourite read in 2019💕

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Good Neighbours by Sarah Langan

It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover

The Blessed Girl by Angela Makholwa