The Perfect Thriller Recipe

Disclaimer: I am just an avid thriller and suspense reader; not an expert. This recipe is based on nothing but my observations and what I like when reading.

11 Thriller & Mystery Authors Recommend The Best Books In The ...
Suspense, Crime or Mystery Thriller books are some of the highest earning genres of books (2nd only to Romance/Erotica). With so many books already published, how do authors still manage to write bestsellers? I've decided to compile a recipe from what I've observed from a few of my favourite authors.

1. UNRELIABLE NARRATOR 
This is the main ingredient in The Perfect Thriller recipe. Unreliable first person narrators do not necessarily lie (except Amy Dunn from Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl) but give the reader just omit enough material information to steer the reader in the direction they want them to go. Your narrator must be pretty convincing for this to work.

2. TRUST and SECRETS
I love a mess. Fragile relationships between the characters due to a lack of trust or keeping secrets from each other helps drive the story. I recently read Cross Her Heart by Sarah Pinborough (check the review here) and most of the conflict could've been avoided had the characters not kept such dark secrets from each other. Where's the fun in that?

3. WITHHOLDING INFORMATION
This ingredient is perfect to keep the reader interested. I can't count how many times I've finished a book only because I wanted to find out what actually happened.

4. WITHHOLDING NOTHING
As a substitute for ingredient number 3, certain authors often get the nitty gritty information out of the way, letting the reader know that a murder has occurred and who's guilty at the beginning book. Liz Nugent did this in both Unraveling Oliver and Lying in Wait. This makes the reader feel like they know everything but at the same keeps me interested in finding out what the rest of the book has to say. This is a bit risky though because the book must still have  some meaty content after the big reveal.

5. USE SPARINGLY
  •  Perfect Characters: I love rooting for the villains and outcasts.
  •  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT have 'The next Gone Girl' or 'The modern day Girl on a Train' on the cover or blurb. Not every book is a Paula Hawkins.



6. PLOT TWISTS
 Many authors have the big reveal towards the end of the book and then a "killer plot twist" (rolls eyes) at the very end. I often find this very underwhelming but Sarah Pinborough made it work in Behind Her Eyes. A lovely way to add flavour is by having multiple plot twists that leave the reader gasping every few chapters. This is best served with varying paces throughout the book.

The best thrillers are the ones with twists you never expected (never mind the fact that every thriller is described as such). Experienced readers will either feel very satisfied to have figured the plot out before the end, or they'll be disappointed for the same reason. Either way, you've cooked up a good meal and they finished it.





Comments

  1. I've read some of the books mentioned here and enjoyed them and I'll be reading the rest too.😉

    You may not be an expert but you're well on your way. These are definitely the things we thriller and suspense readers look for in a good Mystery Thriller novel. Thanks Liz🙌💯

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so affirming. Thanks, Hlela❤️

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this, it's really made me feel like writing my own little thriller 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Write it!!! Even if it’s a short story😂💕

      Delete
  3. Uyichanile! My fave thriller connoisseur. That first one is really my favourite thing about thrillers. Withholding nothing puts me off immediately. It is why I could not finish Liz Nugent's 'Skin Deep'.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Good Neighbours by Sarah Langan

It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover

The Blessed Girl by Angela Makholwa